It’s been 4 years since I graduated from college. I remember being 22 and thinking that the whole world was in front of me, but at the same time I remember feeling really confused and cautious because it was like looking into a white-out snow storm. There were a lot of scary things being said at the time, things like, “recession” and “Snooki”. But, eventually, I realized all you can ever really do is go forward and kick as much yeti ass (see: work hard) as you can.

P.S. I’m not typically one to dish out advice, but if you’re a recent grad, here are some things I’ve learned along the way towards the twilight of my post grad years.

1. No one ever asks for your GPA

2. NO ONE EVER ASKS FOR YOUR GPA

3. Your Facebook News Feed is going to turn into a baby and wedding Tumblr.

4. You will absolutely miss mid-day naps

5. There’s nothing wrong with quitting 8 months into your first job out of college.  It’s also okay to move to Chicago 2 weeks later, without ever having stepped foot in Chicago.

And what about you guys? What did you learn about yourself or the world around you when you were 22 years old?

About these ads

31 Responses to “Post Grad: Go Forth!”

1. free penny press

I’ve been out of college a bit longer than 4 yrs but I wish someone would have told me then to do what I like not what is expected…
    oh, and I still take mid-day naps….car+rolled down windows=one helluva snooze :-)

2. waddswords

Ahhhh, 22 – how I miss the freshness of opportunity and how I do not miss the awkwardness of my retrospectively apparent naivity. I chose the path of love and took on a mind-numbing job to feed my new infant child, and gave up my pointless philosophising on a grassy knoll at my uni campus in NZ, debating about whether or not God existed or if computers would end up having free will.

• timmer

Uni campus in NZ Sounds a lot like university here in the states, well at least for liberal arts majors

3. Wittyburg

I wish someone told me what it’d feel like to do the same thing for nine hours a day, five days a week. Jobs in college between classes and other stuff doesn’t even compare to mind-numbing cubicle drain.

• timmer

My first job was insanely mind-numbingly and soul crushingly stressful at the same time. I walked away from it without a real plan for the future and I haven’t looked back since.

4. Sloan

I quit my first post-grad job a year after I started and moved across the country to work a job exactly like I had when I was IN college. Only now I go home and nap instead of do homework…whats next is always the question…

• timmer

I don’t miss hw one bit. Naps forever. And cool that you moved across the country. Curious, do you feel better about the decision? I did a similar thing.

• Sloan

Sometimes I feel better, sometimes I miss the money. Ultimately I think I’m happier–just broke as a joke and floundering to figure out what to do with my life…like most 20 somethings…

• timmer

I remember wandering about for 6 months without a job, trying to figure the next move. I think I’ll do a blog about someday (illustrations included, haha). Good luck out there.

5. interestingboredom

Its true, those yeti’s just need kicking. I graduated at 21, got a job, hated it, but stayed on to fund another uni course and changed my whole career :). I guess I learned…um.. yay for naps on the bus home!

6. liberalcynic

I remember when I finished college. I moved from Mumbai to NYC for grad school. I was all like “Hold this for me while I change the world! Just gimme a lab, any lab.”
    Five years hence, “Just let me graduate.”

• timmer

haha, I know my way around a lab. “Just let me graduate” definitely seems to be most peoples attitudes when they near the end of their program.

7. wordswithnannaprawn

Well I’m kinda of living my life in reverse……I didn’t start my degree till I was 41 so my life was already washed up and behind me and when I graduate I’ll pretty much already be starting to look like a mad professor so I have a legit reason to just not leave and postgrad for the rest of my life…..

P.S what was your GPA?
    P.P.S how high does your GPA have to be in order to kill a Yeti? just so I know where I should be setting the bar.

• timmer

My GPA was astoundingly modest, haha. Definitely not one of those shiny 4.0′s

As far as killing Yetis, I don’t think a GPA matters as much as experience, things like internships or working.

Congrats for going back to get your degree! thanks for reading!

8. howtoonlinedate

again…awesome! nail on the head with this blog. in the end it’s all about who you know and who you know to get you that interview :O)

• timmer

With the right connections, job interviews look less like ‘Yeti’s,’ and more like fish in a barrel. Thanks for reading!

9. postmoderngirls;

So much ‘THIS!’ on #3. I am so tired of baby posts. Cute and everything, but GTFO my TL.

/end ranting

I think my 22 year old self did OK. I think I’d give myself the same advice everyone else gave me: Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there; you have nothing to lose.

That and what my father always says when I ring him in tears and beg for advice: be bold.

x

• timmer

Right? I pretty much don’t even go into Facebook anymore. I can see why they don’t have a ‘dislike’ button, because I would hit it so hard it would destroy the server.

And I’m totally imagining the 22 year old you being a bad ass and deciding to go make things happen instead of waiting for them to happen. At least, that’s how I imagine most world travelers.

10. Tiana Feng

It hasn’t been a year since my graduation, but fb is already a baby and wedding tumblr.. fml

and you know what matters just as less as your GPA? The piece of paper that says you graduated.

• timmer

I can guarantee you will. Good luck out there. If you see a Yeti, aim for the throat :D

What should we talk about?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Basic HTML is allowed. Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: